1) taking personal responsibility and initiative,
2) getting clear about what's important to you and setting goals,
3) putting those priorities first and being disciplined,
4) seeking mutual benefit in all interactions with others -- the golden rule,
5) seeking to understand others from their perspective first before making your point,
6) valuing differences and creating third-alternative solutions to problems that are better than "my way" or "your way," and
7) taking care of and renewing yourself in all four areas of life -- body, mind, heart and spirit.
-- Stephen R. Covey
Maybe if we all tried a little harder, life would be a little easier for all of us.