Monday, January 12, 2009

Giving your baby a bottle in the crib...

So, apparently we all have some sleeping habits whether they are good or bad...

Madi, had some great ones. When she started to get fussy I would usually just give her a pacifier and lay her down in her crib with Melody (her bear that plays music), which is one of the most amazing inventions that I have ever come across, by the way, I actually bought it a target for $20. She would snuggle in close to the bear nuzzling her face in, and typically go right to sleep, with no fussing or crying. It was fabulous, people who would be over visiting would be amazed. I was quite amazed as well, because for so long she would wake up a ton at night, so I did not in any way shape or form take it for granted!

At night I typically read to her, then give her a bottle as I rock her in the chair, and then lay her down with her bear and Paci, never with a bottle. She isn't taking the bottle very well from me lately, she fights it and acts as if she doesn't want it from me, and tries to sit up acting fussy. I have noticed that she isn't going down as well either. Often she will start crying very loudly once I lay her down. She will kick around moving herself from one end of the crib to the other, while screaming. I couldn't believe it! What had happened to my child that would fall asleep so wonderfully before, and take a bottle from me, enjoying our time together?! So, I asked Dan if he was doing anything differently. His initial reply was 'No' then I asked if he was giving her a bottle in the crib, 'On Occasion' he replied. I was definitely irritated, needless to say! I asked him to please discontinue doing this that it is very unhealthy, and not good at all for Madi's sleeping habits. Then this morning as I dropped Madi off at daycare (at my Mother-in-law's) I asked her the same question. Her reply was, 'Yep.' Argh!! What?! You should know better!! Is what I was thinking, not the best response, I know. So I kindly said to her, 'Can you please not giver her a bottle, especially now that she has teeth, I don't think that it would be good for her.' Her reply was 'Yes.' and nothing more...

Do you think that it would be inappropriate for me to give THIS (click on THIS to view) to my Mother-in-law??

I don't get it, am I THAT anal, or am I being ridiculous?! I just always thought that it wasn't a good thing to prop a bottle or to give a baby a bottle in the crib. More than anything I think that it is a convenience thing for the caretaker, and not healthy for the baby. She apparently does both, so again I am reminded of how desperately I desire to raise my own child, so my heart is sad!

But I had a great weekend, and how wonderful is it that I have temporary physical custody!? No more missing my daughter to death!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Becca...this is only the beginning... Divorce strips you of your motherly instincts and ability to nurture, protect and guide your child like you should be able to...

Give Madi to God and fervently ask Him to protect her!

I know how you feel...

Rachel said...

I just had a similar situation where our newly adopted son was given his bottle in his crib by our babysitter - freaked me out - I was so worried that all night I couldn't sleep. Then I woke this morning and realized I was overreacting a touch. But I do believe it ruins their teeth - but my fear was that he didn't get his bottle in my arms (or the babysitter's) and that he might have choked. Anyway, your post is from a year ago - you are probably on to other things by now.